You know those nights where the work day starts to wind down and it’s closing in on 5 o’clock, and the idea of going to the grocery store sounds downright awful? And forget about making it a healthy meal…These are the nights where I procrastinate for 2 hours, and by 8 pm I’m starving, cranky and end up overpaying on Postmates for a junk-food meal that I probably didn’t need in the first place.
Eating healthy is rough, but the key is to have a routine and a plan in order to be successful. My favorite go-to meal lately has been this egg roll bowl that I’ve tweeked and prodded at several times to make it just right. This is stupid-easy, and requires minimal effort, time and money. I’m ALL about the simplicity lately, and that’s what makes eating healthy even more enjoyable and fun (even though that late night Pizza still calls my name…).
P R E P
This is a one-pan and simple dish, so all you need to prep is to cut up an onion and garlic, and that’s literally it. While the dish is cooking, you can create your own sriracha marinade.
What you’ll need
- 1 large saute pan.
- 1 pound of ground turkey. You can use ground chicken or pork if you’d prefer.
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. I used a chili sesame oil, however you can also use soy sauce if that’s your jam.
- 5 stems of green onions, chopped. Separate the white parts of the onion from the green.
- 1/2 cup of red onion. Save some off to the side for garnish!
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped.
- 1 8 oz can of water chestnuts, chopped.
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha or chili garlic sauce. You can totally do both, depending on your love for spice!
- 1 9 oz-14 oz bag of shredded coleslaw. I use the shredded cabbage and carrots from Trader Joe’s!
- 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For the sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup of reduced fat mayonnaise or Greek yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha. You can doctor this up and add more if you want.
- Green onions (the green part) and the rest of the red onion.
Serving Size: 2
Total Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Heat sesame oil or soy cause in large saute pan on medium high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the white part of the green onion, the red onion and garlic. Stir to combine, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until the onion is soft–about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, water chestnuts, and either the sriracha or chili garlic sauce (or both!).
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the ground turkey is cooked all the way through (no longer pink).
- While the ground turkey is cooking, combine the mayonnaise and sriracha in a bowl for the sauce. Add the sauce to a plastic bag for the drizzle action, and set aside.
- Once the ground turkey is done cooking, add the cabbage mix, coconut aminos/soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Place mixture in a bowl and top with all your favorite garnishes: jalapenos, green onion, cilantro or red onion.
- To drizzle the sauce: cut the end of a plastic bag and drizzle as much as you’d like over your bowl. If you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to do the plastic bag action, you can just spoon some of the mixture into your bowl.
- Eat warm and enjoy!
POST COOKING NOTES
- I’ve made this dish so many times now to get it JUST right. There’s alternative ways to doctor this up, whether you’re doing the Keto diet or you want more carbs included, make it your own! You can add rice, put it in a sandwich or a wrap, or over a salad. Options are endless!
- This truly makes for 2 decent-sized servings. If you’re cooking for more than 2, double the recipe!
I want to know your feedback! Find me on Instagram, and tag me in your deliciousness! @basickneadss