Now that Spring has finally decided to make an appearance the need for a stiff and refreshing cocktail is on the mind. I’m not a HUGE Margarita fan since most recipes/restaurants make them really sweet by overdoing it with the simple syrup or just WAY too much sugar. I’ve come to love this simple, yet delicious recipe and this is the first drink recipe on the blog! Can’t wait to hear what you think.
The best part? SO. EASY.
P R E P
This may be repetitive, but the prep for anything you’re planning to make is what’s key. These drinks are a huge party pleaser so the more time you give yourself, the better (and less stressed) you’ll be.
The key to all of this is the simple syrup. The name speaks the truth: it’s only 2 ingredients to make a standard simple syrup. Depending on how many people you’re making this for will determine how much sugar and water you need for the simple syrup. I recently made this for a group of 4 and it was enough for everyone to have a decent-size drink. Feel free to make a larger batch and keep in the refrigerator.
What you’ll need
- A small saucepan.
- 2 cups of sugar. You may want to add more depending on how big of a batch you want, just be sure to increase the amount of water as well.
- 2 cups of water. See above if your recipe will need more!
- 2 cups of blackberries. I find blackberries to be the easiest to make this with as opposed to blueberries or strawberries. Plus the color is super unique when it’s finished!
- Cocktail shaker. Feel free to improvise with a protein shaker bottle if needed.
- Ice! Duh.
- 4 limes. 1 for every drink you plan on making–the ratio I’m suggesting makes 4 drinks.
- 6-8 ounces of silver tequila. Treat yoself and get the good stuff.
- Garnishes: lime wedge, salt on the rim, and blackberries!
- Optional: a splash of Grand Marnier.
Total prep time: >5 minutes
Servings: 4 cocktails
- Add water, sugar and blackberries to your small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Using a strainer, pour your simple syrup into a bowl. You can always transfer to a refrigerator-friendly container later, just be sure to let the syrup cool.
- If your guests are eager, you can throw the bowl in the fridge for 5 minutes until it cools down, if not let cool and then place in an air-tight container (mason jar, plastic jar, etc) in the fridge until you’re ready to use.
- Salt your glasses and prepare your fancy garnishes.
- Grab your cocktail jar and add 1/2 cup of the simple syrup, 2 limes and 4 oz of tequila (this will make 2 drinks). Repeat twice (or however many drinks you’re planning on making).
- Pour it up, and enjoy!
POST COOKING NOTES
After thoughts and how to store!
- Just writing this up is making me crave one of these bad boys beyond belief…
- Remember that if you’re making this for a crowd of more than 4 people (or if you have thirsty friends), be generous with how much simple syrup you make. You can always just throw the rest in the fridge.
- This syrup is STICKY, so keep that in mind when creating your cocktail and storing it.
- How to store: Place in airtight container in the fridge for up to 7-10 days. I would not recommend freezing this.
If you end up making this, feel free to tag me on Instagram (cayhay1351) or use the hashtag #basickneads!